Sunday, October 19, 2008

SUNDAY SUPPER

Every Sunday I expected my family to sit down to a family dinner. We usually had a sit down dinner during the week, but Sunday I didn't allow non essential activities to interfere. And if they did I pouted. With the twins gone, we have gotten a bit lax in the sit down dinner department (ahem, Tom?)



So now I am re-instituting Sunday Supper and I will blog the recipes. Tonight:











Spaghetti with Turkey Meatballs

Meatballs


1 pound ground turkey
1/2 cup finely chopped onions
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 egg
1teaspoon salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 cup catsup


Mix and refrigerate for at least 1/2 an hour before forming. Roll into small balls and fry in olive oil until browned, set aside.


Sauce

1 large can Italian tomatoes
1/2 c chopped parsley
1/2 cup chopped basil
5 cloves of garlic minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
salt & pepper

Put all ingredients except basil in pan used for browning meatballs (drained of any remaining oilbut not wiped clean) and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring and breaking up tomatoes. Add basil and meatballs and heat meatballs through, covered, about 15 minutes. Don't stir too much or meatballs will break up. Correct seasoning as needed before serving.

Meanwhile, cook spaghetti and drain. Serve meatballs and sauce over pasta, sprinkle with parmesan.


Cook's notes:

I added the catsup because I saw Giada add it on her Everday Italian show. Sometime I will try it with half plain ground turkey and half turkey Italian sausage.

No comments: