Saturday, November 1, 2008

TWO TIMES 21

Senior Ball, June 2006

Halloween 1987


The trick or treaters are done for the night. It's a warm October evening so we decide to walk down the hill to Main street and see what the grown-ups are doing. We wander into a bar full of costumed revelers and find a seat. Tom has a couple of cocktails and I sip on a glass of grapefruit juice that tastes of tin can. We walk back home and go to bed.


Midnight - I wake up in a puddle. My water has broken. You see - I was 38 weeks pregnant with twins. They decided not to wait for the scheduled c-section a couple of days away. I woke Tom and sent him to the kitchen to make himself some coffee while I showered, changed the bed and packed. Oh, and I called the doctor.


We arrived at the hospital and Tom asked the nurses to remove their cat ears, flashing pins and other Halloween accessories - "Time to be serious!" A fleet of doctors arrived to usher our little ones into the world. At 3:11 am Zachary and at 3:12 Margaret were delivered and my life was doubly changed.



Today they turn 21 - the days are long and the years are so, so short.


Last December they had each other's initials tattooed near their hearts....


The Birthday Party


4 comments:

Walker said...

:)

Walker said...

:) Love you!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Boy do the look alike--what a great birthday post.

smalltownme said...

I popped over here from Juggling life to see the beard -- it looks a lot like my son's.

Your twins are so beautiful.