Thursday, March 14, 2013

AN INTOLERABLE INDIGNITY

I enjoyed Aaryns recent post on Derwad Manor about ageing with style, and understand Jenns concerns coming up on a "big" birthday and the fears, questions and disbelief expressed by many bloggers I read who are dealing with getting older in general.

I am trying to remember when I started with those thoughts myself - but since I didn't have the twins until I was 35 and Ally until 40 - I was always the "older" mom in any setting.  I didn't sweat the looks part too much, I let my pre-mature grey hair go undyed at 48 and since I was overweight all of my adult life, vanity obviously didn't have much of a grip on me.  Not to mention I have been a lifelong sun lover and never took many pains to hide behind a hat or sunscreen - I made my wrinkles and blotchy face and enjoyed it!

I was more into being youthful in mind and spirit.  Having kids keeps you in the game when it comes to so many things - music, pop culture, fashion and so I have felt pretty with it for most of the past 20 years!  Now, I am facing 60, the kids are out of the house and I have lost some of my interest in being tuned in to the youth culture.

All of that is okay.

However, the solo, 2 inch long, silver  hair which I spotted growing out of the underside of my forearm is NOT OKAY.  It is like those pimples which occasionally appear in the middle of my wrinkly face.  These indignities are not to be tolerated. 

6 comments:

Gary's third pottery blog said...

sure, a person cannot look back too much, just move forward with grace!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

I'm with you on this (although my last kid was born when I was in my mid-30's).
What is with those stray gray hairs?!? Grrrrr...

smalltownme said...

I hate the chin hairs.

Glennis said...

I always say that the pimples make my skin look young - like it did when I was 14!

Seriously, though, at 58 now, I have the mustache thing going on. Embarrassing!

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I do think a little bit of my thing is that I was always the young mom; it's part of my identity.

Oh, the hair business. I actually have to do Sally Hansen twice a week now. Sheesh.

Jenny Hart Boren said...

Susan--I recently added you (after seeing your comments here and there) and have been reading back through your archives. I'm having fun spotting this or that thing we have in common; a little touch of the kindred spirit. Thanks for blogging, please keep it up!

And oh, the gray hair thing? Yep.