Wednesday, October 7, 2009

SILVER WEDDING ANNIVERSARY


Tom and I were married on October 7, 1984. It wasn't the wedding of our dreams. We were so broke that our honeymoon was spent in my parent's Tahoe cabin, a place Tom didn't even like to visit.

He borrowed the money for his part of the wedding expenses, including the ring I still wear. No engagement ring.


My mom and I made my dress. It was pink silk with an ivory lace overlay. Our wedding colors were pink, violet and gray - very 80's. We had our wedding in a small park with a violin and flute playing music. The reception was on the patio of a restaurant next to the park. We had a DJ playing music and an open bar - my Dad's big splurge. We danced to the Beatles song "I Will" and Jackson Browne's song "Lawyers in Love."


My mom and I made little baskets with violets in them for the tables. Even though I asked the florist for no mums in my bouquet - it was mostly mums, but it was pretty. We planned a menu to be passed on trays as the reception was meant to be cocktail party style. The restaurant, instead, made a buffet so we ran out of food. That is why people hire wedding planners! Anyway, the cake was good - lemon with a basket weave design and violets.


My dad gave us some lovely toasting glasses which still reside in my china cabinet. Doves at the base of the stem. I am taking them to the restaurant we are going to tonight as a surprise for Tom.
We were watching some show about weddings and Tom surprised me by saying someday we should renew our vows and really "do it right." For 25 years I think we have been doing it right already. But I would never turn down a chance to celebrate that!

3 comments:

Walker said...

Happy Anniversary you guys. I love you so much.

Love, The Best Thing You Ever Produced.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Happy Belated Anniversary!

We were on a shoestring budget, too--I think that's the way to go.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Happy Anniversary! We're at 24 years, and I knew 25 was a milestone, but looking at your post title, I finally realized next year will be our silver.

Your cake sounds lovely! Violets are such sweet flowers. Here's hoping you have a great golden anniversary as well.