Wednesday, December 9, 2009

FORGIVENESS IS A PLACE TO LIVE


"She will try to help an author who detests her, because of the home she wants to build inside herself, because of how she wants to live. In the end, to forgive, to tell the truth, to honor what is worthy of admiration, hurts less than the alternative." Elizabeth Berg , from her novel " home safe"

I finished this book a few days ago but this passage kept coming back to me. I really understood what she was saying about forgiveness versus carrying a grudge or seeking revenge. It is about what I want to reside in me. I don't want hurt and anger and hate there.

I want a clean slate; ready to be filled up by every new day. I want to hold on to what is useful and hopeful and loving. Take that into the next day and the next and make my life better and make the lives of my family better and then lives of other people better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you mention this, because I've been struggling with anger toward a couple of people and have only recently decided to just let go of the anger.

smalltownme said...

Good advice. Thank you.