Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20, 2009


In 1976 I was a senior in college and I was an intern in Washington DC. I was sent by my school to work in the DC offices of the California State University and Colleges System. It was an amazing experience. I arrived there a couple of weeks before Jimmy Carter was inaugurated. I strolled down to the parade route and watched them go by.


It was nothing like what I saw today on TV. The crowds of people today were momentous. It was wonderful to see so many happy, hopeful people. People with excitement and pride to witness such a historical event.


I heard that Beyonce sang "At Last" at one of the inaugural balls - so fitting. At last Bush and his cohorts are gone. At last we can begin to rebuild this country spiritually, morally and financially. At last, as pointed out on All The Good Names Were Taken, I can stop pretending I am Canadian.

No comments: