Tuesday, November 27, 2012

LITTLE BOYS LOST

Fox news has joined in on the junk science of the "war on men" in an article by one of those odd women like Phyllis Schaflay who want to protect women from losing their rights to be "dependent housewives" while themselves being working professional women.

Statistics have been floating around about more women than men pursuing higher education, young women enjoying "higher levels of success" than young men and fewer men valuing marriage and family as much as women.  The reason, according to Fox News writer Suzanne Venker, isn't that the achievements of women have made men less valued:

 It has pissed them off. It has also undermined their ability to become self-sufficient in the hopes of someday supporting a family. Men want to love women, not compete with them. They want to provide for and protect their families – it’s in their DNA. But modern women won’t let them.

Okey dokey. 

On a personal note - I say "I'll let you!!  I will give up my dead end boring stupid job that I do so our family can have medical benefits!!  Provide for me!  Protect me! I'm all in."

Got that out of my system.

I am not one of those modern women of which she speaks, I know she is speaking  of young women who have managed in ONE generation to twist male DNA into shreds due to efforts to educate themselves and be economically and socially independent.  I suppose my generation started it by saying to our daughters: You can be anything you want when you grow up you just have to get a good education and work hard.  And when it comes to having a family, well, there are going to be hard choices to make.

Wow - who knew how powerful we were? We wanted our daughters to be able to support themselves in case they didn't marry or theirs was one of the 50% of marriages which ended in divorce - and BOOM we changed men from loving, protective providers to slackers.

I can't wait for all the lovely women in their 20's and 30's to just quit their jobs, buy some cookbooks and dusting cloths and through the power of "surrendering to their femininity" magically turn all those gamer guys into productive members of the working class ready with a ring.  Paying rent in the meantime may be an issue - but hey, anything to help the guys find their way back to their true nature...

5 comments:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Drivel.

cookingwithgas said...

hummm family units are family units - just that.
If you are lucky enough to be in a family that functions as a unit there is no his or her rights only ours.

And, I too would love to be a kept women- bring it on.

smalltownme said...

Typical Fox. Real men, and real women too for that matter, support their spouses in whatever works best for the family.

shrink on the couch said...

Say again? Just how are we working women preventing men from providing and protecting their families?

Glad you posted this. Now I think I know the origin of this ridiculous, fact-devoid rant I happened to catch on Limpballs show where he spouted about women "emasculating men" by working outside the home. I joked with my husband when I got home from my job (to find him searching up football facts on the net). I asked him if my working made him feel emasculated. This home building, roof fixing, plumbing problem solving man who probably hasn't missed a day of work in the past two years despite a chronic illness got a good laugh. No apron wearer is he, though he does cook a mean pot of beans.

When are people of the right going to grow up and accept that women are intelligent, striving, income-appreciating human beings just like men. And that while some women enjoy the stay-at-home domestic life, others prefer to balance home life and work life? What's the big deal?

As Eleanor Roosevelt said, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."

So it goes with emasculation.

knittergran said...

These poor fragile men!