Saturday, August 17, 2013

THE LONGEST RIDE EVER

Tom decided I needed to expand my biking horizons so last week we went on some unpaved trails, but didn't get too far because of this:


Construction on the bridge closed the trail.  Riding on gravel is really nerve wracking, so I am not eager to do that again!



Today he decided I was ready for more miles so we went from Pleasanton to Walnut Creek on the Iron Horse trail. The weather was odd - thankfully we had some low clouds most of the day, with little direct sun. It was humid but not terribly hot.  Six miles or so of the return trip was up a 2-3% grade which really took a toll on my knees. Then at about the 28 mile point the wind started up so I was pretty miserable.



After about 5 hours of riding (a stop at the Farmer's Market and another one for a snack) and a documented 42 miles,  we made it home.  I went straight for the Advil...

Then we grabbed our  swim suits and headed for the Jacuzzi at the gym.  The hot, bubbly water and the Advil did their work and I was no longer feeling so sore,  After a shower we went out for a Margarita  and I felt much better!

5 comments:

smalltownme said...

That was a long day. I'm impressed.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

Wow. That's a lot of miles!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

42 miles -- count me among the impressed. WOW.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

My hat is off to you!
Next time you come to the PacNW, you really must ride the Hiawatha near Wallace, ID. I's an old railbed (many tunnels and trestles) and so very beautiful! We were there when there were hundreds of people in town on a big "Ride Idaho" bike tour covering many, many miles.

shrink on the couch said...

Aggghhh, you couldn't skip the riding and head straight for the margarita bar?

(Way to go! Very impressed by your 42 miles!)