Thursday, September 5, 2013

FRIDAY FAST ONES

1.)  My mother in law died in 1986.  She lived in New York but Tom handled the estate and so her mailing
address was attached to us.  For all these many years and 7 moves, her mail has continued to follow along.  Most of it has been from AARP and other "senior" related businesses but we get credit card applications and other stuff, too.  For 27 years!!

Today I received more mail for her - a postcard for college entrance exam tutoring.  So now that she would be 87 years old, she has landed on a list for college bound students.  I think my children will still be getting mail for the grandma they never met long after I am gone!

2.)  Tom and I braved the crowds and went to the outlet mall on Sunday with all the back to school shoppers.  We actually had fun in the crowds. I picked up more of the Tommy Hilfiger shirts I love (in a smaller size.)  For the first timer in my life I went into J Crew.  The saleswoman may have been trying to flatter me by bringing me a size 8 pair of pants (I bought them in a 12) I also got a cool denim shirt with pearl snaps - now I can't wait for Fall weather!  

3.)  We have been nervous about Zac's job search following the end of his AmeriCorps service.  He has occasional shifts at the Monterey Bay Aquarium and a 4 week engagement with SeaLab which is an outdoor ed camp for students - but nothing steady was falling into place.  Then he got a call from REI (part time but they offer benefits!!) and then he got a call from a home brewing store in Marina looking for a part time worker.  They had heard about Zac in the home brew community and got his number from someone who went into the store to buy him a gift certificate!  He is thrilled that he gets to work in 2 stores which involve his hobbies - though we did discuss not spending all his money there...

We are much relieved that he is gainfully employed during this year off before he starts grad school and that he gets to do things he really enjoys on top of it.  (Plus REI discount.  Whoohoo.)

4.)   I think I have complained about the house we are renting and have also complained about still being here long after we expected ( 7 years!!) and have mentioned one of the reasons why it doesn't work for us is the "open concept" floor plan which is inexplicably popular.

 Now I am reading opinions of others who share my distaste for this floor plan.  Having the kitchen open to the living rooms and dining room is noisy and messy and I cannot wait to start looking for new digs next Fall when I am promised by my husband that we will finally move.

5.)  We have had many occasions this summer to enjoy eating meals on the patios and sidewalk  areas of local restaurants.  We have been surprised to find that each restaurant we frequented was allowing people to have their dogs with them in these outdoor areas.

Most of the time it was okay but there were some annoying situations, too.  Has this become the norm across the country or it it just here in the Bay Area?  What do you think about sharing your meal with dogs?

6 comments:

knittergran said...

Congratulations to Zac!
And you shopped at J. Crew? Congratulations on that also---the staff there look at me as if I am from Mars---but then you are younger than I.
And dogs? Not where I live since it's not much of a walking area, but I suppose in Atlanta it happens. I've been at outdoor cafes with people with dogs, and I am so in love with dogs and cats that I always try to "meet" them.

michiganme said...

I'm not so much to having dogs where I eat, except do course for service dogs. Dog owners & etiquette vary widely---it's amazing what's acceptable to one dog owner would be considered appalling by another.

I would choose not to dine with dogs...I can do that at home.

michiganme said...

I'm not so much to having dogs where I eat, except of course for service dogs. Dog owners & etiquette vary widely---it's amazing what's acceptable to one dog owner would be considered off limits to another.

I would choose not to dine with dogs...I can do that at home---but since it's a big world, I also don't mind having people/places choose their preference!

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I don't want to share my eating space with dogs, which is a violation of health codes here in Virginia.

smalltownme said...

I do not like the "take one's dog everywhere" trend. It's bad here too. One restaurant was unbearable. Large dog loose and sniffing around under my table. Snippy people when I asked them to contain it near their table (with their other two large dogs!).

And some folks bring their dogs when they pick up their kids from school. Bad idea -- I have seen barking lunging dogs and terrified kids.

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

In Germany, well-behaved dogs were to be expected at restaurants; well-behaved children were cause for raised eyebrows and disdain. (Yes, we were the crazy Americans who actually thought children should be taken to restaurants.)
Neither of those 2 things are as crazy as continuing to get mail for Grandma after 27 years!

Congratulations to your son on his 2 new jobs!