Wednesday, October 23, 2013

ONE YEAR SINCE WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY

A year ago today I was in Mexicali, Mexico.  I was spending the night in a hotel after finishing some tests and interviews with the Bariatric surgeons at the Hospital Almater.  I was told it was okay to have whatever I liked for dinner, which was pretty cool after a month of significant diet restrictions; the last week being a liquid diet!  Little did I know that the small amount I was able to eat in the nice restaurant was a preview of my dietary future!

In the morning I was picked up and taken to the hospital, got settled in my very nice private room by the attentive staff and shortly went off into surgery.  I had little pain when I woke and got up to walk the halls later that evening.  I was well taken care of for the additional 5 days I was there and would recommend the experience to anyone considering the self pay option for weight loss surgery. It cost a fraction of the cost in the US and I had excellent care.

I have been writing pretty regularly about my weight loss and post surgical experiences on my other blog.  It's just such a milestone for me that I want to cross over and share here, too.  It has not been easy, but it has been easier than remaining morbidly obese, which is where I had been stuck for many years.

These are my before and after photos:



7 comments:

hokgardner said...

You look wonderful!

Jenny Hart Boren said...

You look so happy and healthy! I always find it fascinating that other countries are able to provide medical care similar to what one might receive here, but for a vastly different price. I know many treatments and procedures ARE done differently (better? safer? newer?) here but many are the same. Over and over, I hear how happy traveling patients are with the care they receive. So interesting.

Anyway, thanks for sharing those pictures!

knittergran said...

Repeating the others, but you look so happy! And from all your bicycling stories, I know you must feel great too!
What a wonderful year you have had and I am wishing you many, many more.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I think the biggest difference I have seen is how you are so active and out riding your bike--I love that!

Karen (formerly kcinnova) said...

You are the second person I've heard from about this surgery in Mexico -- the first was a former neighbor in WA. In both cases, the surgery has allowed the patient (and I know you have been patient!) to become active and healthy.
Your smile tells a wonderful story.

shrink on the couch said...

You look fantastic! Really happy for you. My neigh or had weight loss surgery. Said for first time in her life she feels content after a meal instead of wishing for more. I only felt that while big with twins.

Unknown said...

I think the things you covered through the post are quiet impressive

Choosing the best Weight loss surgery in mexico