Sunday, November 10, 2013

SHOPPING JONES

I have had an obsession for shopping for the past month.  Seeing the trees turning and experiencing the cool mornings and evenings has pushed my somewhat excess shopping buttons. For the past 9 year I have worn the same 2 jackets in the cold months.  A reversible rain jacket and a really nice leather jacket.  The combination of warming hormonal changes and a rather limited life made it possible to attend most winter events comfortably.

Now I find myself coatless.  Even the impulse purchased red trench raincoat which I squeezed into once or twice is way too big now.  I have been shivering my way to work in the mornings and layering up when we go out in the evenings.

The threat of rain this week set me in motion.  I poured over the internet to see what to expect in the stores.  Seems that double breasted is very big - but not my favorite look.  The patch work mix of leather and wool is cool but maybe too trendy for someone who plans to wear the same coat for many years to come.  Stunned by the department store prices I was seeing and underwhelmed by the selection in the usual discount stores, I asked around at work and was told to go to Burlington Coat Factory which is just down the road. Somehow it had never occurred to me that a place named "Burlington Coat Factory" would actually have coats...

Happily they had great coats at fabulous prices.  After trying on about 20, I bought a rain coat and a dressier wool coat - both from Michael Kors.  I have already shortened the sleeve on the raincoat, but plan to take the wool coat to a seamstress to alter. I go both coats for well under $200.00 so I don't mind paying to have alterations.

My next shopping jones will be some warmer shoes.  My former work environments allowed me to wear more casual clothing and shoes plus had the advantage of being warmer than where I work now, especially because I am in and out of our warehouse.  I am thinking a cool oxford...

3 comments:

Nan said...

You had never shopped at Burlington Coat Factory? I think every jacket we've purchased in the last 20 years has come from one of their stores. I found great suits for work there, too, back when I had a job where it mattered that I looked professional.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

The coats sound great. Like you, I prefer coats that will last a long time. My oldest coat was purchased at a vintage shop and is from the 1960s. My next oldest coat is a winter parka I bought nearly 20 years ago and which I cannot imagine getting rid of.

Get the Oxfords! I have two pairs and long for more.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

I love Burlington! I've gotten great coats at Ross and Marshall's as well.

It's fun to shop when you can just walk into a store and buy right off the rack, isn't it?!