Thursday, February 8, 2018

DAY TO DAY RECOVERY - ONE MONTH

The average time time off work for total knee replacement patients returning to a desk job is 8 weeks.  Some say longer for bi-lateral replacements, but not all.  I plan to return after 8 weeks with some possible accommodations.  Maybe a shorter day, longer, more frequent breaks - not sure until I get back to it and see what weaknesses remain.

The biggest mystery of all with this surgery was what the heck will I be doing all day, every day after the initial recovery period.  I can't drive. Not sure what my capacity for housework or yard work might be.  Not making any money so online shopping must be avoided.  Just how much TV and reading can I handle?

So here is where my days are right now.  I can shower and dress myself but it takes time.  I can spend short periods in the kitchen but find it hard to carry anything of any weight even a few steps without support - so just moving from stove to sink to drain water from potatoes felt a bit perilous.  I keep my meals simple, break down the tasks and leave many of the dishes for my spouse to deal with.

I am supposed to save my energy for doing my PT exercises several times a day, so going out for recreational walks is not recommended.  My walking is just around the house, standing at short intervals for meal prep, folding laundry, wiping down a counter and the occasional foray into the world.  Today we will go to Sports Basement to buy protein bars!  WooHoo.

I do about 4 different rounds of my PT exercises and stretching and then get my ice machines strapped on - that lasts about half an hour.  So I figure about 2 hours a days just on icing.

 I can only sit for 10-15 minute intervals to write notes, read the paper or use the computer, then I haul myself up and move about for a while, then sit down again.  These short blog posts take an hour or so to write.

I expect that my stamina will continue to increase and I will be able to spend more time sitting, standing and be be to add in exercise time on my bike which has been set up on a "trainer" in the living room just waiting for me to be able to climb on and put it to use.   Maybe tomorrow will be the day...

No comments: