Friday, January 15, 2010

FRIDAY FAST ONES


1.) This has been a disappointing couple of weeks for the job hunt. I worked really hard and revised my resume and cranked out some good cover letters and nothing....sigh. Some of the jobs sounded ideal...


2.) Overheard in the showers in the gym tonight: Little swim team girl #1 "What kind of music do you like?" Little swim team girl #2 "Classical." Little swim team girl #1 "Have you heard of Taylor Swift?" Little swim team girl #2 "No." Audible gasps were them heard from throughout the locker room.


3.) I cannot believe that I have been in communication Ally's counselor and math teacher about her difficulties with the class and the fact she should not have been put in an advanced math class and it turns out she didn't even need to be in math AT ALL for graduation or for the colleges she will be applying to. Aaarrgghhhh! So she will drop at the semester but have a terrible grade on her transcript.


4.) Last night I finished Margaret Atwood's new book "The Year of the Flood." I LOVED it. Ran right out and bought a new copy (Mine is in storage and impossible to find) of "Oryx and Crake" which is the novel that is is set in the same time period from the point of view of different characters. I rarely re-read books because there are so many books I want to read for the first time, but I was so excited by "Flood" that I had to re-read "Oryx" right away. I adore Atwood's writing. She is brilliant and her writing is so crisp and evocative and creative.


1 comment:

jenn said...

I was once the deprived child who had never heard of modern music, until my junior high years. "Xanadu" by Olivia Newton-John was my first taste of pop music! Now I like all kinds of music.

I've been looking for a new book to try - thanks for the recommendation. I'm adding that to my library list. :)