Friday, January 22, 2010

FRIDAY FAST ONES


1.) I made a comment to this effect this week - and I will repeat it here. It seems like the Democrats in Washington act like the"Good Kids" in school. They think if they do the right things, and color inside the lines, use nice language, follow the rules and try to get along with others that they will be rewarded. The GOP acts like a bunch of "bullies" shoving people in the hall, lying, cussing, making up wild excuses for not doing their work, getting what they want by humiliating and intimidating people.


I don't want the Dem's to start acting like the GOP, but it is time to stop waiting for karma to kick in and actually get down in the mud and get something done. I could care less about bi-partisanship.


2.) Finally some good financial news for our family. We submitted a revised Financial Aid package to Penn, due to my continued unemployment, and they reduced our family contribution by nearly $6000.00! Don't be afraid to apply to private schools for financial reasons - they are so great and responsive to the needs the the families. Thank you University of Pennsylvania!
3.) Ally and her friends are upstairs preparing for their Drama Club Thespian Dinner. It has a Harry Potter Theme. I have not seen the get-ups, yet. There is a lot of giggling going on. I am making "Muggle Mac & Cheese" for the potluck.
4.) I am so dispirited by the Supreme Court decision to overturn decades old campaign finance reform allowing corporations unlimited campaign spending. It just makes me want to give up. The Supreme Court has ignored years of work done by the legislature to reform campaign contributions, to lessen the impact of corporations and in this decision it is all undone. We might as well agree to have the members of the House and Senate just represent ATT and Walmart and Shell Oil instead of states and districts and the people who live there. That is how it has gotten anyway.
Funny, too, I just finished reading two books about what happens to the world when the corporations take over and there is no government anymore - no one looking out for the interests of the people or the environment. It's not pretty and then we all die.
On that note. Have a nice weekend.

5 comments:

smalltownme said...

What were the books you read?

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

Margaret Atwood's books - Oryx and Crake and the new one The Year of the Flood. Both great reads and the first 2 of a trilogy.

Jennifer (Jen on the Edge) said...

I too am so disappointed in the Supreme Court's ruling. Definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Congrats on improving the financial aid package!

Mrs. G. said...

I'm with you. I need a little fire in my Democratic Party. I'm tired of Dems sitting around trying to make nice with EVERYONE. Why have a majority if you aren't going to use it!

Great news on the $!