Monday, January 14, 2013

STOCKING UP ON AMMO

I am happy that this time around a mass shooting has gotten some people in this country up and in protesting mode.  The VP gets to try again to get some sane gun control legislation going and maybe we can make it a little harder for people to get guns.

Of course, the other part of our society is running around like chickens getting gun permits and stocking up on ammo at gun shows and generally saying and doing all the stuff they have been forever.  "It's not the gun...Only criminals will have them...Out of my cold, dead hands..."

In San Francisco there was a record turn out at the gun show last week.  No one could walk away with a new gun because we have a 10 day waiting period here in CA. That is one of the proposals being taken to Congress.  Ten days - to check the records (hopefully they will get better at the record keeping) and to cool down from any incident which has sparked the desire for a gun.

NRA President David Keene said:  "The two people who are selling so-called assault rifles are Sen. Feinstein and President Obama - not us.  They're the ones that are scaring American gun owners. It isn't the NRA."


Harry Reid might find himself in the NRA cross hairs - he seems to be changing his stance on guns following Newtown:   "We need to accept the reality that we are not doing enough to protect our citizens,” Reid said on the Senate floor.

I commented on a few blogs after the last school shooting that it is too late to do anything about guns in this country.  There are too many of them, too much money behind them and too many ways to skirt the existing laws. But maybe things will change bit by bit,  child by child gunned down.

3 comments:

jenn said...

As a teacher, I pray that it will not take many more of these horrific incidents before SOME action is taken. Howver, you make a valid point... there are millions of guns out there already. I wish I had an answer.

hokgardner said...

This issue and the attitude of the NRA just makes me crazy. Like can't form coherent sentences crazy.

I don't allow guns in my house, so why would I send my children into schools where teachers are packing? I'm more concerned that my kids are going to get caught in the crossfire of vigilantes than I am that they are going to be shot by a random whackjob.

Linda Anderson said...

Well said. Well said.