Monday, March 12, 2012

YES, I AM AN ADULT FAN OF THE HUNGER GAMES BOOKS

Lifted from Google images.
The timing wasn't right for me to read the Harry Potter books with my kids, I couldn't be convinced to read the Twilight series but I read all 3 of the Hunger Games books within a week.  They are that good.  I am planning to see the movie.  My excitement got my youngest daughter weirded out.

I looked into this phenomenon of adults reading young adult fiction and found that it adults are a really big part of the market.  Reasons cited are the crossover of many adult fiction writers to the genre (Alice Hoffman is one of my favorite authors but I have never read her YA fiction)  Other reasons cited are the stories themselves which are not so heavy with adult themes, the writing is good and according to historical writer Amanda Foremen  "A lot of adult literature is all art and no heart, But good Y.A. is like good television. There’s a freshness there; it’s engaging. Y.A. authors aren’t writing about middle-aged anomie or ­disappointed people.”


In The Hunger Games trilogy, the heroine isn't concerned with romance, though she is set up to have to choose between two guys who love her.  She is a strong but vulnerable, bossy, angry, naive, courageous girl made to grow up too fast. Fighting her own fears and disappointments in a corrupt world of the future.  Because she is so authentic, she draws people to her and becomes the reluctant  figurehead of a revolution.

She works hard to feed her family, is loyal to her friends, is defiant of a a corrupt government and manages to keep her clothes on, her integrity intact and to recover from the terrible events and betrayals she is put through.  She can be irritatingly indecisive, clueless about what is going on around her, angers easily and directs it without selfishly and when required to face self knowledge she is wont to hide in closets.  That is the hallmark of the YA focus of the book.  The younger set relates to her inner life struggles, the older readers see her core values and cheer her on.

2 comments:

shrink on the couch said...

Just saw a lifelong friend's update on FB where she asked if anyone had the sequel to Hunger Games. After reading your review, I can see why.

smalltownme said...

I liked this series, too.