Wednesday, October 15, 2008

PLEASE VOTE NO ON PROPOSITION 8


Since California is not a "battleground" state and it looks very positive for Senator Obama (my neighbor's yard signs not withstanding.) I am very focused on what I believe to be the biggest issue in the election. That is proposition 8 - which seeks to reverse the decision of the California State Supreme Court that individuals of the same sex have the right to marry under the California Constitution.


The effort to eliminate this right has been funded primarily by members of the Church of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) and the money has been spent on a barrage of fear mongering ads - suggesting that little children will be taught to be homosexual and that the institution of marriage and the status of the church will somehow be undermined by same sex marriage.


This is the statement delivered by President Hinckley of the LDS Church:


Latter-day Saints are working as part of a coalition to safeguard traditional marriage from forces in our society which are attempting to redefine that sacred institution. God-sanctioned marriage between a man and a woman has been the basis of civilization for thousands of years. There is no justification to redefine what marriage is. Such is not our right, and those who try will find themselves answerable to God.


Some portray legalization of so-called same-sex marriage as a civil right. This is not a matter of civil rights; it is a matter of morality. Others question our constitutional right as a church to raise our voice on an issue that is of critical importance to the future of the family. We believe that defending this sacred institution by working to preserve traditional marriage lies clearly within our religious and constitutional prerogatives.


I have no problem with any religious organization determining that they will not sanctify same sex marriages in their church. However, for a marriage to be legal, there must be a civil license taken out. When it is dissolved, it is, again a civil matter, not a religious one. I was not married in a church or by clergy, yet I am married. I'll take my chances with G-d.


I support the freedom of speech, I understand the rights churches have to insert their position in political discourse. I don't completely agree that it should be allowed along with tax fee status - but that is not the issue here.


The issue is that people in loving relationships, many of whom have children, ought to be allowed the right to marry (civilly) and enjoy the same protections as everyone else. I disagree with Sarah Palin that tolerance is the answer. Tolerance is not equality.


Why people cannot enjoy the rewards of their religious faith without foisting their views on the rest of us, I don't understand.


From the time my children started asking questions about homosexuality and lesbianism I told them that I didn't see anything wrong with people loving and caring for each other. I believe that sexuality is not a lifestyle but the way we are made - and as humans, we are all made to love each other.


It's too bad so many church members can't see that.

No comments: