Sunday, October 12, 2008

BIG HOMECOMING NIGHT


It was Homecoming week here, the weather turned a bit cool just in time. The skits were fun, the Sophomores came in second behind the traditionally first place Seniors. The team lost the big game, but Ally's gang doesn't really go to watch the game. The real big event is the dance.


This year I agreed to host the pre-dance photo op and dinner. The parents arrived with teens in tow and hung around to take pictures. The kids were game and posed for endless pictures in groups and couples. We had one guy going "stag" and two girls going "doe". I think it is great that they feel comfortable attending the dances without dates - not done in my day. I still remember the year I had a date and my best friend didn't - took a lot of the fun out of it for me.


We planned a salad and sandwich bar for the dinner. Easy to make in advance, not too messy for the sake of the dressed up guests and the girls could "eat in front of the boys" if it is salad. I don't recall having that particular issue when I was 15, but I went along.


When I asked what they wanted on the salad bar I was told bacon bits, croutons and shrimp. I added chicken, cheese and various chopped up veggies which went pretty much untouched. They were all very appreciative and had a noisy dinner before we shuttled them over to the gym. One of the girls asked if I had ever gone to a Homecoming dance, I said I had gone to all four when I was in high school. She was surprised, said her mom never went to any dances. I said I could remember every dance I went to and I hoped they would be good memories for them, too.

Then I sent them off, all dressed up and ready to dance the night away.







No comments: