Sunday, October 26, 2008

SUNDAY SUNRISE


Late last night I realized that I forgot to buy milk when I went to the store, and the last slosh of milk in the jug was being used to make Ally's mac & cheese. I got up at around 6 - guilt plagued that Tom would not have milk for his coffee, and honestly, not wanting to be found out for such a lapse. I can only say that the new layout of the grocery story still has me kerfuddled and I am not even sure where the milk is anymore.
At 6:30 I went out into the cool, dark morning to buy milk. When I came out the the store, I saw the sky to the east was glowing a soft magenta, throwing the trees in the subdivision across the street into silhouette. As the sky turned from pink to peach I pondered the choices people make when landscaping - one home had obviously gone for a tropical look with palm trees swaying high in the sky, next to that were a couple of triangular tops, some kind of pine trees. Ah, California, where the beach and mountain can reside side by side. I sat in my car thinking about living here - there are so many options when we are not ruled by the extremes of weather or dogma.
I listened to the end of the world music program and realized the bagel shop really should have opened by now - so I walked up to the door to find a hand written sign that the ovens were broken - no bagels. Oh, well. Waiting had given me a chance to watch the sunrise. And we don't really need the carbs anyway.

No comments: