Thursday, December 4, 2008

MAYBE SHE'S NOT A TOTAL IDIOT


My mom and I had a brief conversation on my birthday and somehow, in that compelled-to- create-friction way that families have, we spoke of politics.


My parents are lifelong Republicans - major Republicans. I heard from my sister that our mom had changed her party affiliation to Democratic and voted for Obama. Since I found it hard to believe, I asked. Turns out she voted for Obama in the primary but couldn't bring herself to vote for him in the election because of his Chicago political connections and "the way they bashed Sarah Palin." I said something like "She is an idiot" and we stopped the conversation shortly thereafter.


But I kept thinking about it. I am not sure Sarah Palin is an idiot. I think she is probably fine as as a local politician, a bit over her head as a governor and way out of her league as a national candidate. The thing I found idiotic about her is that she didn't realize that she was over her head. I am fairly well educated, I suspect I read more than she does and I couldn't have answered some of the questions she was asked - and I am not an idiot. But I know I don't know enough to run for office.


I don't appreciate her fundamentalism, and the obviously failed effect her teachings have had on her own family. I am very concerned about electing people who are determined to promote "God's will" as they define it. Her divisive political views, willingness to support racism and use her sexuality to promote herself are also unsettling.


But bottom line, I was aghast that she said yes to running for VP without any need for thought. Geez, woman, you have a family, including a pregnant daughter and a newborn. A major job in your state and very little national experience - and you didn't take the time to mull it over?


Perhaps it depends on how you define it, but if that kind of thinking isn't idiotic, it's close.

No comments: