Sunday, November 30, 2008

ONE STEP AHEAD OF CHAOS


Part 2 of my series on menu planning, shopping and organization. I'll post every Monday until I run out of helpful ideas!


Now that the freezer is full, time to pull out the cookbooks and paper for lists. My mom had a small pantry which she carved out of a broom closet. On the door was a pad of paper and a pencil. If you took something out of the pantry, you had to put it on the list to be replaced. Death to you if she counted on a can of Cream of Mushroom soup and they were all gone and not on the list!! I think this is a great method. I keep a list in plain sight and if someone uses something up and doesn't put it on the list, then we may be out of it for a long time.
I plan at least 4 meals in advance. I go through the cook books, make a list of the meals and add needed items to the shopping list. Make sure sides are part of the planning. I post the meals on the frig on a post it, it helps reduce the "What's for dinner?" calls at work!

I also have 3 or so meals that I have as back-up. For instance, the Orange Chicken from Trader Joe's, I have one in the freezer to serve with rice and a veggie. I also make sure I have canned tomatoes and pasta. Tortillas and cheese can be used for many meals. I always have lots of chicken broth on hand.

I buy things like rice in bulk, both brown and white. I get things like rice and pasta sides when they are on sale and keep in the pantry to add to simple chicken breast meals. I buy the fresh tortellini and keep it in the freezer. Tortellini is great with sauce, but also in soup and added to a Caesar salad!
I usually need more fresh veggies and fruit mid-week, so I do an additional menu plan, and shop again.
More organization ideas next week!

1 comment:

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

There's the Orange Chicken from Trader Joe's and the Chicken Tortellini Pasta from Costco and always, always the fixin's for the easiest casserole ever.

1 tube Polenta (TJ's)
2 cans turkey chili (TJ's)
Light shredded cheese (TJ's)

Smoosh Polenta into bottom of 9x13 pan, top with chili & cheese. 425 for 10 min. Sour cream and salsa on top. It's a hit!

I feel exactly the way you do about SP.