Monday, November 3, 2008

RAINY WEEKEND

It finally rained. Friday we had the door open at work and the smell came before I saw or heard it. That smell of asphalt getting drenched - so distinctive after a long time with no rain. Big fat drops came down and we walked out under our awning to take deep breaths of the freshening air.
It took a break for the kids on Halloween night, then it rained all night. It was so odd to get up to grey skies. It was kind of exciting. The house felt a little cave like. I noticed that Tom and I were not up and out so quickly, we sat and talked and watched a little TV and had breakfast together.
I went up to our deck which is home to my little mosaic work area. I wanted to get a project done and tarps up before it really started to blow as the news indicated it would later in the day. It seems that the moment I climbed up on a stool to hoist my tarps - the storm hit. I was blown around and got soppy wet and eventually I got things covered up.
The rest of the day I puttered around doing housework and goofing off intermittently. The movie The Shining came on and since Ally had never seen it - we watched together. We lit a fire.
Then Sunday morning, the sun was shining bright, the soccer tournament was on and the spell of the rainy weekend was broken.

No comments: