Wednesday, February 25, 2009

BOOK CLUB MEETING


Just home from book club. This month we read To Kill a Mockingbird. It was a good pick for our group - it rated the highest score of any book read to date. Some of our members really didn't want to read it, but loved it when they did.


I remembered it so vividly from high school and was pleased to find it was as good as I believed it was then. In a brief discussion with another member who had read it in high school and didn't really recall it, I realized that I was more of a romantic about stories of struggle, poverty and race than she was. Most likely because I was from a middle class California town and she from urban Philadelphia. I suppose that is one reason we have such a good group. We have an age range of about 25 years, people from different parts of this country, and one member from South Africa; we also come from different educational and economic backgrounds. The discussions are interesting and enlightening.


Many of us in the club have a child in high school, and they read To Kill a Mockingbird during their sophomore year. Ally will be reading it soon. I am very excited to see if she likes it. None of my children liked Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men which was another favorite of mine from school. Maybe with Obama in the White House, this book will take on a different level of meaning for the kids - a difference sense of the importance of his election.

No comments: