Wednesday, March 10, 2010

FRIDAY FAST ONES


1.) Ally got her driver's license this week - unlike all of her friends, she passed her test the first time out! Very proud of her; she is a good driver, very conscientious. She will be driving her dad's 15 year old BMW - very fancy compared to the Rambler station wagon I drove as a 16 year old!




2.) There is frequent discussion about the little things spouses do that drive us nuts. for some it is the toothpaste cap being left off, for others it is the clothes left on the floor. For me it has become the fact that my husband refuses to put the correct items in the correct cans for our City Recycling Program. It is turning me into a garbage picker.
3.) One of the things I have discovered during my daily crawls through craigslist looking for employment is the category called {ETC}. There are some interesting opportunities there. I have taken to signing up for consumer panels and focus groups. There are not very many of them which want women over 50. And when I am called, I find that the spaced held for that age group are few. The one I was invited to attend was very interesting and I earned $120. for about a hours time - so I continue to apply.
The reason I mention this is that I just ran across an an article which mentions a book called "Prime Time Women." It said:

Baby boomers are the largest and wealthiest demographic and at the peak of their spending power. What marketing and sales professionals might not realize is that the majority of this spending power is wielded by women ages 50–75. They are the healthiest, wealthiest, most educated, active, and influential generation of women in history.
I instinctively know this is true, yet I don't get this feeling from the entertainment media, from advertisers, from those doing the market research. I am intrigued - I am going to read this book! Maybe it will give me some ideas for my own business since there are no businesses out there interested in hiring me.
4.) Tom and I are taking our bikes over to San Francisco on Sunday. It is supposed to be a nice, sunny weekend.

3 comments:

smalltownme said...

Congratulations to your driving daughter!

Walker said...

It's never too late, Mama!

shrink on the couch said...

"the healthiest, wealthiest, most educated, active, and influential generation of women in history"

Thanks to reading your post, for the first time in my life, I can't wait to be 50.

A bike ride sounds perfect right about now. need to get the rust off of mine and take a spin around the lake this weekend.