Thursday, July 22, 2010

SUMMER PROJECTS WITH NANCY

My sister Nancy has been coming over to work on her first mosaic project.  She's been very ambitious and is working on two projects at once - a small birdhouse and covering a large concrete globe that is part of a fountain in her backyard.

Working on a large round object is very time consuming because you can only do a bit at a time and then you have to wait for it to dry before you can shift it to work on another part because the tiles slip and slide around.  So she has been coming over for a few hours here and there for a few weeks - which is fun for me to spend time with her!  I have to be more careful though - today I hit my thumb with a hammer because I was yakking and not paying attention - ouch.

Now she has gotten the mosaic bug and has been spending lots of money on tile and stuff - so my brother in law may not be too happy with me.  Oh, well.    Good for the economy, right?

I have been busy finishing a few projects and starting a new big pot.  I finished a new birdbath for my yard because I gave the first one I made to my sister Polly.  I finished the pot I made to match the umbrella, and planted it with geraniums.

I am happy that I have been spending more time away from the computer, up in my mosaic area and enjoying the summer months.  I was so stressed out last year about my joblessness that the summer went by without much enjoyment.  This year I will have lots of nice projects to show for it and will have spent some quality time with my sister.

6 comments:

Lori R. said...

I LOVE your mosaic room that opens to the outdoors! I am in the basement, in a corner,uggh! Love your pot that matches your umbrella! I am looking into doing more cement work. A big pot like what your sister is covering might be fun to make!!!! Thanks for visiting me today... I need to get caught back up with old bloggy friends ♥

shrink on the couch said...

Can't decide which I am most envious - the mosaic hobby or the fact that your sister lives nearby and you can share this passion.

lisahgolden said...

What a great way to spend time with your sister and to have some creative time! I love the mosaic pots!

hokgardner said...

How nice that you get to spend creating something beautiful with your sister. There is something therapeutic about working on art with other people. I think it's why I love knitting groups.

Lisa Paul said...

I'm loving the look of those mosaiced planters. And how much more fun to do these projects with your sister.

Jenn @ Juggling Life said...

That globe looks really cool.

And your sister is beautiful!